Friday, April 1, 2011

Science Fair!!!!!!!!!

This year for the science fair I made a Gauss rifle and saw if the different sizes of magnets would make the ball bearing go farther. Some people have asked me how I came up with this. Well one day i was on YouTube and i was watching this guy that makes alot of kool stuff and a Gauss rifle was one of the videos and I thought how can I make this a science experiment.

Then i had to find all of my supplies so I went to google and typed in neodymium magnets and I found this place and ordered a couple different sizes of magnets. Oh and by the way they where NdFeB grade N42 neodymium magnets. Warning neodymium magnets are super super super strong. Trust me they snapped closed on me and my dads fingers it made my dad bleed and gave me a blood blister.


So now to the next step i had to find ball bearings. I searched all over the web to find some it was impossible but then i finally found some and ordered them.

These be the ball bearings

Now i had to find a railing to put all this stuff on. It was so hard to find this too. At first I was going to use pvc piping and cut it to make a rail but we couldn't do that. So then i had to find something else to use as my rail. Then I was wondering around Home Depot trying to find railing. And I finally found this steel railing and i was  perfect so I got it.(Since it was steel it was very dirty)

Look at that dirty thang


Then i had to figure out how to keep the railing straight up. I tried alot of stuff like a plastic bag block of wood then finally came up with something pencils so I stuck some on each side and i stood up.



These the pencils


Then I did a test run and the ball bearing kept going to the side. So I put some pipes on each side to keep the ball going straight.


These the pipes
Then finally for the first official test. I shot the ball with the small magnets and measured how far the ball went. Then I did it three times with each different size magnets.

These small 

These Med

These Large























































Then I had to gather all my information and put it on my poster board.


Then it was judging day and I was SOOOOOOOOO NERVOUS.
So there was a couple of people in front of me to present. So they went and then it was my turn. So I explained my project then fired it to show how it works then showed them a video I made. Then the said some comments and then it was over. After it i wasn't nervous anymore it was actually fun.


Then a couple days later we had the ceremony.From lunch to the time the ceremony started I was working getting cables hooking stuff up to my laptop and testing stuff. I felt liked I worked there.
Well then the ceremony started and they announced the 1st,2nd,3rd, and honorable mention. So they announced the winners for the different categories and places. Then they finally got to the physical group. And i got FIRST place.  

2 comments:

  1. omg it was so good and it wasnt short 4 once!!! u so deserved 1st place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with auble! good job chax!

    ReplyDelete